CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Now, can you please tell me what is wrong?

I have not felt very good for the last couple of months. Its nothing that is constant, I just go through periods where I feel kind of dizzy, and nauseous. I also get headaches--a lot of times it is more of a pressure on my head than a pain--and occasionally some chest pains --which is usually a sign that I am stressed. Yesterday morning I work up feeling yucky again and finally decided I had had enough. I called the Dr. and made an appointment. After telling the operator my symptoms, she told me that since I was having chest pains I should probably get a friend to drive me the Dr's. Yea right. I live about 3 minutes from the office, there is no way I am going to call and ask someone to take me there when I am pretty sure the chest pains are simply stress related. So I go to the Dr., and tell her my symptoms and how long they have been going on. I also mention that my cholesterol is very high and that I have not been treating it as I should. The Dr. get really big eyes and tells me they need to do an EKG to make sure my heart is ok. No problem. The nurse comes in and sets me up, runs the EKG and then takes the results to the Dr. Dr. comes back, says the EKG looks normal. However, since I have had chest pains today, and have such high cholesterol, I need to go to the hospital and stay overnight so that they can run some blood gas tests to make sure that I am not having a heart attack. She also tells me that they will follow that up with a stress test to make sure that I don't have any blockages in my heart. I ask her when I need to have that done--and she says "now". I tell her that I can't go right now, that I have to get my daughter somewhere first but that I can probably go over around 4:30. She looks stunned and can't believe that I won't go right now. I'm pretty sure I am not having a heart attack, so I tell her I will go today but that I really just need to get a few things done first. She acts like I am crazy and tells me that I'll have to sign a release form stating that I know it is dangerous for me to leave and not go directly to the hospital. She also starts telling me stats about women and heart attacks. OK, fine. When she leaves the room, I called Liane Martin and told her I was at the Dr. and it looked like I wasn't going to make it home in time to get Erin over to Band camp and asked if she could get her for me. She agreed, so when the Dr. came back in I told her that I had made arrangements and could go to the hospital now. She was very relieved and told me that they would get an ambulance to the clinic to take me. WHAT? The hospital is only 5 minutes away--can't I drive myself? NO. I called Greg and tell him what is going on, he asks if he can come take me. So I tell the Dr. that my husband is working 5 minutes away, can't he just come and take me? NO. It is "clinic policy and just too dangerous" because if I have a heart attack on the way, what is he going to do. How annoying! So Greg comes over to the clinic. They bring an ambulance in, put in an IV, attach me to another EKG machine, give me nitroglycerin and take me to the hospital.

Once at the hospital they run more tests, and eventually get me to a room where I will spend the night. I was suppose to work two shifts the following day, and was able to call in and get the early one off and luckily my friend Becky was able to get someone to cover the second one for me. So I have a horrible night's sleep--due to machines and nurses coming to take more blood. In the morning they tell me my blood gases were fine, and that I didn't have a heart attack. Next I get taken for my stress test. They take x-rays of my heart, then they they inject some dye into my IV, have me run on a treadmill until I reach a target heart rate. they then take me back for for x-rays of my heart. This is done so they can see if the blood is flowing properly through all areas of my hear. After I am done they take me back to my room and I get to wait for the results. This seems to take forever! Shortly after my test, an internal medicine Dr. came in and lectured me about my cholesterol levels and how it is critical that I treat it properly with medication, diet and exercise. I agreed and promised to take it seriously. I then waited a few hrs more and then the nurse came in, told me all my tests were normal and sent me home. So I signed some papers, gathered my things together and went home.

So I got home almost exactly 24 hrs after my original appointment. I had be taken by ambulance to the emergency room, and kept over night in the hospital, had multiple tests run, and then told that my cholesterol is way too high but my heart is good. But when I sat down on the coach I realized that I felt exactly like I did when I called the Dr. yesterday. So when does someone tell me what is making me feel sick?

0 comments: