CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Netflix Senior Moment


Oh my poor, old and failing brain. On Saturday, Greg and I went to the post office with things to mail to Joe as well as 3 Netflix DVDs that I wanted to return. I had run out of Priority Mail boxes at home, so had Joe's items (a sweater and some miscellaneous goodies) in a grocery bag. When we got to the post office, I couldn't find a box so I ended up putting his things into a priority mail envelope instead. The post office was crowded, so instead of packing up the envelope and then weighing it for the postage, I stacked everything on the scale, printed the postage and then moved off of the scale to place everything inside and seal it up. I was a little disorganized, but soon had the envelope packed and ready to go.
Once we got the postage and mailing label on the envelope, we went to leave. I then remembered the DVD's and looked around for them, but couldn't see them in the area I was working. No biggie, I just assumed I had left them out in the truck and sent Greg out to get them while I cleaned up my work space and dropped Joe's package in the mail slot. I was a little surprised when Greg wasn't back with the DVDs when I was finished. I walked out to the truck to see what was taking him so long. He was still digging around in the truck and had not been able to find and of the NetFlix envelopes. I was surprised because I clearly remembered having them in my hand when we left. In fact, I had gone back to the desk to pick them up before leaving the house. So I decided I had better go back and make sure I hadn't missed them in the post office, but once again they were not there.
Now, we had changed cars at the last minute on this trip. When we had started the Beretta, it made a really bad grinding sound. When Greg checked under the hood he decided the water pump had gone out and that we had better not drive it. So I didn't completely panic because there was a chance that I had left the DVDs in the Beretta. But once we got home we learned that they weren't there either. Greg had me check in the house to make sure I had really picked them up and once again, no luck in finding them. Since I was sure that I had carried them out to the car, I went and searched both the Beretta and the truck again, but was unsuccessful at finding my 3 lost red envelopes. Ugh!

So now the big question was what happened to my movies. I figure there were 3 options for what happened. First, I could have dropped them in the mail box and not remember it. I was 99% positive this had not happened. Second, I put them in Joe's box and unintentionally mailed him illegal contraband. Third, I left them on the counter at the post office and someone picked them up. If the first thing happened (which I didn't think likely), they would have shown up on our account yesterday or today. No such luck. If the second thing happened, I would have to write to Joe explaining why I sent him movies that he obviously can't watch on your mission, apologize and ask him to drop them in the mail for me. I did this, and received was told in his email today that he did not have any movies in his package. This was quite a bummer, because that meant that the third thing most likely happened. And because my account had not been credited for the DVDs return, the person who found them did not mail them but took them home instead. Not good, because if that is what happened then I get to pay to replace them. We have broken a DVD before and I just went to the video store and bought a used copy because it was much cheaper than paying NetFlix their replacement cost. In this case I wouldn't get off so cheap because on of the movies was a new release Emma Smith, My Story, so it would be very difficult to find a discounted copy.
So now that I knew I did not mail them to Joe, I went online to find out how much I was going to have to spend to replace these three movies. It looked like it would run me about $20. I wasn't happy about that, but it was cheaper than the $60+ NetFlix was going to charge me. But before I ordered the replacements I decided I would search the truck one last time. And wouldn't you know it, I found the DVDs in the split between the driver and the the passenger part of the front seat. I could not believe it. Both Greg and I had searched the truck multiple times and I swear they were not there! Must have been those stupid house elves again! But at least they returned them before I spent any money.

0 comments: