
I was really excited for spring break this year for two reasons. First, because of my job with Continental I knew we would be able to go someplace fun, and second, we would all be able to go because our school district had selected the standard week this year when in the past we have always had our spring break the week before everyone else. I knew that would make things more crowded, but was happy that Melissa should be able to do something with us. So I made trades at work so that I could be off the whole week and we could enjoy some family fun time. Well, since things never seem to go completely as planned I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when Melissa informed me that her spring break was actually the week before ours. I was so bummed, and so was she. But we made the best of it, and thanks to my flight benefits I was able to enjoy 2 spring break trips with my girls. Hard to complain about that.
Melissa decided she wanted to go to San Diego for her spring break. Since I had already taken off the entire following week, I told her it would have to be a quick trip. It was quick, but it was so much fun. I had never been to San Diego before and have to admit that I fell in love with the place. We flew in on the first flight out on Tuesday, March 11 and arrived in San Diego around 9 am. We picked up our rental car and headed towards Melissa's top priority for San Diego--its Zoo. On the way we hoped to find somewhere for breakfast and weren't disappointed when we came across Perry's Cafe, a popular Breakfast House. We were both starving and really enjoyed some the great food there. It was then off to the Zoo, which is huge and totally amazing. So many animals! We really enjoyed the panda bears and I loved watching the polar bears swim and play. Melissa was a bit miffed that her favorite animal, the giraffes, were no where to be found as they had been moved to the wildlife park while a new habitat was being built for them. But in spite of that disappointment, we had a great time.
Save the Giraffes!
Once we finished at the zoo, we headed out to look for some food and a beach. We ended up enjoying a fabulous lunch at Canes Bar and Grill on Mission Beach. We enjoyed Mexican food with an ocean view, and even had a pod of dolphin entertain us as we ate. We then spent some time walking along the beach and enjoying the beautiful weather (although the water was way too cold to even think about getting in).
Mission Beach & Canes Bar and Grill
Melissa is shocked by the cold Pacific
Cindy enjoying a walk on the beach
Later that night we drove out to the San Diego Temple, which is absolutely beautiful. Melissa decided that it looked like a castle and that she is going to have a destination wedding so that she can get married there.
I love to see the temple!
Our second day in San Diego was all about the beaches. Unfortunately it was overcast and cooler on Wednesday, but we didn't let that stop us. We headed to La Jolla first and enjoyed walking along the coast. It is a beautiful area with lots of rocky cliffs. We even got to see some seals at the Children's pool. After walking up and down the coast, and me getting plastered twice by a big wave while trying to wash off my sandals, we enjoyed a seafood lunch with an ocean view and some entertaining conversation (from the ladies at the table next to us--we tried not to eavesdrop, but it was really, really hard). After lunch we headed back to Mission Beach as it was more swim friendly. We didn't swim, but we did enjoy laying on the beach and enjoying the sun before we had to run to the airport. It was a great ending to a wonderful trip!
The waves were crashing in La Jolla!
La Jolla Cove
La Jolla seals
Catching some rays on Mission Beach
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Spring Break part 1
Posted by The Artisan Mama at 7:01 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment