

Today was Joe's mission farewell. Grandma and Grandpa Jensen came down for the weekend and it was really nice to have some extended family with us for this even. At first we thought only Joe would be speaking, but in the end both Greg and I were also asked to speak. Our topic was "The Good News". None of us were thrilled with such a broad topic, but in the end it turned out quite well. I spoke first and started by defining the good news as the Gospel. I then touched on understanding the good news, how it has been shared, and what we need to do to fully benefit from it. Greg went next and spoke about how the good news came to and benefited his family. Then Joseph finished the program by focusing on our responsibilities once we have received the good news in our lives. He made a comment about home and visiting teaching being missionary work that impressed the Relief Society President so much she came up and told me that she had written it down so she could quote it later. We had many people tell us how impressed they were with the program. And even a few that commented that they had never heard Joe say so much at one time before. He did an excellent job and I believe gave us a glimpse of what a great missionary he is going to be.
Later on in the afternoon we had a small open house for people to come say good bye to Joe. It was good to have one last time to gather friends together with Joe. It is going to be strange when he is gone. I am excited for his opportunity to serve a mission, but do not look forward to his being gone. But I know he will be an excellent missionary and will be blessed greatly for his service.
0 comments:
Post a Comment