CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Words you don't want to hear

Yesterday I got a call from Melissa. It started out normal--Hi Mom. I asked how she was doing and heard the word parents don't want to hear--"I got hit by a car". Luckily they were followed by "but I am fine". Turns out that Melissa was crossing the street when a car decided not to make a stop at the red light before making a right turn. The car hit Melissa, making her stumble but not knocking her down. The driver jumped out of the car, freaking out as he should have. Melissa told him he was fine and walked off. I told her she should have gotten his information in case it turns out she was injured but didn't know it. She told me that she felt fine at the time and just wanted to get away from the situation. Now, of course her knee and arm were both a little sore. I told her to go to the Dr. and get checked out--just in case she had an injury that would get worse if she kept up normal activities. She agreed, and then told me that she thought she was being a hyprocondriact because she was feeling things on the side that wasn't even hit.
Later that day I received a text from her saying she was now afraid to cross the street. Several years ago while visiting Greg's sister in Cedar City, Melissa was shot in the shoulder with a BB gun by a juvenile delinquent that lived across the street from Sherri. After that Melissa suffered from what only could be described as post traumatic stress disorder for a while and was very afraid to go outside. This brought back memories of this for me, and I can only assume it did for her too. My poor baby! I told her I would come to Austin if she needed me to take care of her. She jokingly replied that I may need to move there to help her cross the street. I guess it's true that laughter is the best medicine!

Today Melissa and I were texting and she sent me a note that she hadn't made it to the Dr., and asking if I still wanted her to go. I asked how she was feeling and she said that she had a bruise on her knee--but that she hadn't hurt at all since taking some Ibuprofen yesterday. So we decided to count our blessings and let it go. We always try to remember to ask that Melissa be watched over and kept safe in our prayers. This is one occasion where I know our prayers were answered.

0 comments: