
While on our trip to London, I got an extra treat. Those who know me well, know that I love art. My family is usually quite understanding when I drag them into art museums where ever we go. Since we were only going to be in London for 2 days, I decided not push for an art museum on this trip. However, the weather was my friend on this trip and it was quite cold while we were visiting Trafalgar Square. At the edge of the square, The National Gallery stood calling and eventually drew us in as a place to warm up before we continued our site seeing.
Once inside, we picked up a map to decide what we wanted to see. I really wanted to find Van Gogh's Sunflowers, so we wandered around trying to find the correct gallery. They were adjusting a display in one of the galleries that day--and had it roped off so you couldn't enter it. Unfortunately, several of the routes we tried to take to the Van Goghs went through that room, so we had to keep turning around and trying again another way. We eventually worked our way back to the front of the museum and made our way into the right spot.
Until I visited the Musee d'Orsay, I didn't really like Van Gogh's work. But there is something amazing about seeing the texture of his paintings up close. Although I quite enjoyed Sunflowers, my favorite Van Gogh that day was "A Wheatfield, with Cypresses". The texture and the colors of this painting are wonderful. It was so much fun being able to stand in front of these painting with my daughters and talk about their details. Thank heavens for cold days and warm museums!
Monday, January 28, 2008
Warmth and Art at the National Gallery
Posted by The Artisan Mama at 1:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment